Thursday, December 06, 2007

Bah, Humbug Reformed

Can you believe I'm forty years old and not only have I never read A Christmas Carol to my children, I've never even read it myself? Pathetic, I know. Well, we're reading it now as our first-thing-in-the-morning read aloud. It's one of the many Christmasy things we are doing this year. Funny how appropriate it is for us right now.

After years of struggling off and on with the to celebrate or not to celebrate Christmas, we're finally giving in. I don't know if it's just getting older and getting tired of making a big deal out of things or what. I know my parents are thrilled. How many years did we bring our Scrooge spirit into the holiday talking about the "origins of Christmas"? Bless their souls. May I be as gracious to my kids when they act like idiots.

I don't know what's gotten in to me but I've even ordered A Charlie Brown Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and other oldie Christmas movies from Netflix. I also printed off the Christmas poems off of the Ambleside site. I'm playing Christmas music and baking cookies. And having a great time.

6 comments:

Beck's Bounty said...

HOORAY !! We are so happy to hear this great news, although I never thought you were a Scrooge. Perhaps we should do something fun to celebrate ... soon.

Look for the old Christmas specials - esp the ones with Burl Ives voice in them. Frosty the Snowman is a favorite here, plus Rudolph. And How The Grinch Stole Christmas is anotehr favorite (the original one).

Love,
MomToCherubs of Beck's Bounty

Granny said...

Oh, my friend...I didn't know that this had been an issue with your family but I know exactly what you mean when you say "May I be as gracious to my kids when they act like idiots." My grown girls can recite a whole litany of things I did and did not to out of some misplaced focus and poor understanding of the Father's heart. Anyway, I hope you won't think of this as "giving in" but as gentle growth. May you find the joy of season as you celebrate Him!

tootlepip said...

I love reading your blog, I feel such a kindred spirit in you. We have always celebrated Christmas (and very commercially, I might add) but have over the past few years struggled greatly over it. It was my one happy time as a child and so I recreated it as close to what I was used to. I think we are finally coming to some peace about what we will and won't do. We have toned it down greatly.

I haven't read A Christmas Carol to my family, but I finally read it myself last year. It was delightful. We love to watch the Muppets Christmas Carol each year.

Thanks for your encouraging blog!

Lisa said...

Tootlepip, thank you and I am so glad you find encouragment here.

Granny, I love you and wish I could sit at your feet.

MomtoCherubs, I always love an excuse to celebrate with you!

Strider said...

We have a tradition at our house. Every Christmas Eve, we have Salmon soup and crackers, cookies and egg nog. Right after dinner, we have our cookies and egg nog, and listen to papa read the story of Jonathan Toomey. We've done this for a long time...longer then I can remember. It's almost like Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without this family time that we have together.

Donna-Jean Breckenridge said...

There are many things I objected to when our oldest was younger. I sometimes think it's a wonder she still speaks to me :-)

I know that my intent then was to please the Lord, but I hate that it made things harder for her. My intent is still to please the Lord- but it's definitely easier on my younger ones.

So my concern is how she sees me doing things differently with her younger siblings. (I think she wishes I'd had my current views back then.) And yes, it's a good reminder, for me to be gracious when she starts her own family!

Christmas wasn't one of the things I've ever done differently, though. But there were other things :-)

Enjoy your Christmas! I always enjoy your blog.