Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Notes From A Study of Proverbs ~ The Mouth

Here is my summary notes of my study of what Proverbs has to say about the things we speak. I simply read through Proverbs highlighting anything having to do with what we say and then put it into this format. I embarked on this study because I have desperate need of it in my own life. I have posted this list on my refrigerator with hopes that constant review along with prayer will impart these things to my mind and soul.
-
The mouth of the righteous....
is a fountain of life
is as choice silver
feeds many
brings forth what is acceptable
conceals a matter
brings healing
turns away wrath with a gentle answer
makes knowledge acceptable
is soothing
is a tree of life
spreads knowledge
ponders how to answer
is life
holds his temper
-
The mouth of the wicked or foolish...
conceals violence
destroys his neighbor
speaks rashly like sword thrusts
comes to ruin by his wide open lips
is a rod for his back
stirs up anger with harsh words
spouts folly
crushes the spirit with perversion
brings strife and calls for blows
is his ruin, the snare of his soul
-
One who is careful with his words...
guards his soul from trouble
preserves his life
ponders how to answer
has knowledge
even if he is a fool, is considered wise when he is silent
-
There is more hope for a fool than one who is hasty with his words.
-
Other notes:
-
Sweetness of speech increases persuasiveness
Pleasant words are like honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
The right words in the right circumstances are like gold and silver.
A fool does not delight in understanding but only in telling his own thoughts.
Be careful how you answer a fool, he will not appreciate wisdom.

No comments: