Saturday, June 10, 2006

What I'm Reading

"The greatest gift is the passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites, it gives you a knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind. It is a moral illumination."
~Elizabeth Hardwick
-
At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon (my first Mitford novel)
This was cheap as my mother-in-law loaned it to me years ago but mostly it falls into the "distracts" category. Distractions are good at times. Yes, very good.
-
What is a Family? by Edith Shaeffer
I'm revisiting this after my experience with Ranald Macaulay this past weekend. Wonderful man! I also bought myself another copy of For the Children's Sake by Susan Shaeffer Macaulay because I keep giving my copies away.
-
At the Pace of A Hen by Josephine Moffett Benton
I picked this up after the DHM at The Common Room quoted from it a while back. My new highlighter has gotten quite a bit of use on this book.
-
Age of Opportunity by Paul David Tripp
Gleaning from some inspirational thoughts here. Moral illumination maybe.
-
The next two titles are the books I'm reading to the kids along with our Bible readings from Proverbs and Acts.
-
King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry
This would fall under the "give knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind." I love reading books set in foreign lands and I want to incorporate more of these into our family read alouds over the next few years. Rooming this past weekend at the CM conference with a gal from South Africa/Zimbabwe reminded me of how narrow our experience really is. We can't go to Africa but we can vicariously experience it through reading.
-
Edwin Way Teale's Circle of the Seasons
We just read the days entry for the date. Usually this is a short and sweet addition to our morning time. I started this to 'excite' the kids to record their daily nature observations in their nature notebooks. This course of study was also fueled by the CM conference when Timothy Keyes gave his great lecture on Nature Study (more on that later!)

No comments: