Saturday, March 22, 2008

A Busy Two Weeks

It's hard to believe it's been 2 weeks since I last posted. A lot of activity has taken place in two weeks. We've had the MOPS meeting, dinner guests, a daughter admitted to the ER, my monthly library meeting, lunch guests, an overnight camping trip for the boys and Ford, out-of-town family come to visit, Hope's first voice lesson, a birthday party to attend, the cold crops put in the garden plus all of the other parts of life that are just normal routine! Whew! And I thought spring break was actually going to be a slow time. I'm not complaining though because with the exception of the ER visit, it's been a lot of fun. Although, there were several things we had to cancel like other dinner guests that we were really looking forward to having, a picnic at a park with some local homeschooled teens and their families and we had to turn down another dinner invitation with some people we have been really hoping to get to know better. It's a bummer when there is just not enough days in the week.

The MOPS meeting was great. Spending time with those ladies took me back in time and reminded me how much disciplining children was the most important thing back then. As I remembered taking 5 kids, 6 and under, to the grocery store, I recalled how important order and control was. I am currently re-reading some of the child training books that I read when I was a younger mom to see if I could recommend them again.

Priscilla gave us a little scare. She went to visit our doctor in order to look into why she was so tired. He sent her over to the lab at the hospital to get some blood work done. She passed out and the ladies who were with her apparently thought she had a seizure because that is the news we got. Turns out she did not have a seizure and all of the blood work came back fine. What worried me is she was absolutely wiped out. Even the next morning she could barely sit up to eat and hardly had the strength to cut her toast, which was quite a difference from before her "episode". She called the doctor again and he said he was fairly certain she had mono, even though the test was negative so far. So, she has had to lay off working and she spends a lot of time sleeping. Now we are wondering if that is what Grandma had recently when she had some of the same symptoms that lasted for 5 1/2 weeks. Pris is hoping with a doctor's note to get a leave of absence at work so she will still have her job when she is well.

I'm really getting addicted to time spent outdoors in the woods and fields. Even in the midst of all of this activity, I have still found some time to be outdoors. I dragged my poor cousin all over the place and she is used to flat land, not all of these crazy Tennessee hills! The thing that is intriguing me the most is the many sorts of holes I find all over the place. I keep wondering what made them all. I'm still pathetically unobservant though. Today, I was taking Abel to show him a cool animal den, walking along the route I had been on many times, and he showed me one I had never seen even though it had been right under my nose the whole time. The idea of animals surviving without any help from man has always fascinated me. Another current mystey that we are trying to solve is finding out which bird has a certain song, Annalise says it sounds like "tin-ker toy, tin-ker toy". The next time I hear it, I'm just going to have to drop everything and go stalking.

One more thing I just have to tell about is my weekly women's meeting. We recently decided to allow our daughters to be a part of the small group. We just got talking one night about our concerns with the whole youth culture and one thing led to another and before you knew it we were talking about having the girls meet with us each week so we could study the Bible and fellowship all together, without any segregational walls. And believe it or not, I was not the one who suggested it. Ok, I know you don't believe it, but it is true nevertheless. We've only had one meeting since then, but we had a great time. The girls all enjoyed it too. The great thing was that my girls enjoyed the mother of the woman who hosts the Bible study as much as the other young girls. I'm so excited about this weekly meeting and other fun things we are planning to do together.

No comments: