Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Poetry Luncheon, Part 2

I found this poetry book, 1000 Quotable Poems, at a library sale for a quarter and I couldn't be more happy with it. Poetry has never been my strong point. I guess I'm just too much of a black and white, give-it-to-me-straight sort of person. But I'm learning! And this book has been just perfect for me.
-
Here's the poem I read from 1000 Quotable Poems at lunch today, and I dedicating it's reading to the olive plants (Psalm 128:3) around our table.
-
-
Be Strong!
-
Be strong!
We are not here to play - to dream, to drift.
We have hard work to do and loads to lift.
Shun not the struggle - face it; 'tis God's gift.
-
Be strong!
Say not the days are evil. Who's to blame?
And fold the hands and acquiesce. - O shame!
Stand up, speak out, and bravely, in God's name.
-
Be Strong!
It matters not how deep entrenched the wrong,
How hard the battle goes, the day how long,
Faint not- fight on! Tomorrow comes the song.
-
Maltbie D. Babcock
-
The rest of the girls' poems, except for Tom's, I found online. Just click on the title and it will take you to the poem.
-
BLOCHhead's choice-
There is No Death by J.L. McCreery
-
Tom read this one. She said it reminded her of the cave that they tried to discover on our property when she was younger - or what it would have been like had they found it.
-
The Secret Cavern by Margaret Widdemer
-
Underneath the boardwalk, way ,way back,
There's a splendid cavern, big and black-
If you want to get there, you must crawl
Underneath the posts and steps and all
When I've finished paddling, there I go-
None of all the other children know!
-
There I keep my treasures in a box-
Shells and colored glass and queer-shaped rocks,
In a secret hiding place I've made,
Hollowed out with clamshells and a spade,
Marked with yellow pebbles in a row-
None of all the other children know!
-
It's a place that makes a splendid lair,
Room for chests and weapons and one chair.
In the farthest corner, by the stones,
I shall have a flag with skulls and bones
And a lamp that casts a lurid glow-
None of all the other children know!
-
Sometime, by and by, when I am grown,
I shall go and live there all alone;
I shall dig and paddle till it's dark,
Then go out and man my private bark:
I shall fill my cave with captive foe-
None of all the other children know!
-
PearlKeeper's -
Immortality by Joseph Jefferson
-
Adventure Queen's-
Waiting on God by Freda Hanbury
-
Another fun idea we have used is to draw names and everyone has to choose a poem that reminds them of the person whose name they drew. Then they copy, decorate it, read it aloud and then give it to their person. This has been hilarious at times! Other times we have had a theme, such as Spring, and everyone brings a poem about the topic. Making a special meal or tea just makes it more memorable and gives them fond recollections of poetry time.

No comments: