Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Poetry Luncheon

Today we made a special lunch, lit the candles and had everyone bring a favorite poem to read aloud. As part of the educational plan everyone is required to read a poem every day and about once a week they copy a favorite into a nice hardcover journal, making their own poetry anthology. This way they get a fair amount of exposure to poetry in an almost effortless way.
-
Here's the poems chosen today by the three youngest children:
-
TheLittlestPrincess (I had to read hers) -
-
Some One
-
Some one came knocking
At my wee, small door;
Some one came knocking,
I'm sure-sure-sure;
I listened, I opened,
I looked to left and right,
But nought there was a-stirring
In the still dark night,
Only the busy beetle
Tap-tapping in the wall,
Only from the forest
The screech-owl's call,
Only the cricket whistling
While the dewdrops fall,
So I know not who came knocking,
At all, at all, at all.
-
by Walter de la Mare
-
Unfortunately the boys are very fond of Shel Silverstein. I stressed over this fact when the girls were enamored with him in their young lives also. Now that the girls are older, their tastes in poetry have, thankfully, matured (as you will see in the next few posts).
-
Tigger's choice:
-
Noise Day
-
Let's have one day for Girls and boyes
When you can make the grandest noises.
Screech -scream, holler, and yell-
Buzz a buzzer, clang a bell,
Sneeze-hiccup-whistle-shout
Laugh until your lungs wear out,
Toot a whistle, kick a can,
Bang a spoon against a pan,
Sing, yodel, bellow, hum,
Blow a horn, beat a drum,
Rattle a window, slam a door,
Scrape a rake across the floor,
Use a drill, drive a nail,
Turn the hose on the garbage pail,
Shout yahoo-hurrah-hooray,
Turn up the music all the way,
Try and bounce your bowling ball,
Ride a skateboard up the wall,
Chomp your food with a smack and a slurp,
Chew-chomp-hiccup-burp.
One day a year do all these,
The rest of the days - be quiet, please.
by Shel Silverstein
-
Oh, this one is embarrassing. But here it goes...
SmokyBear's choice (read with a huge smile on the verge of giggles)-
-
Crowded Tub
-
There's too many kids in this tub.
There's too many elbows to scrub.
I just washed a behind
That I'm sure wasn't mine,
There's too many kids in this tub.
by Shel Silverstein
(and no, we don't bathe our children together, just in case you are wondering:)
-
Now, to lift my humiliation a bit...I will be posting the girls choices in separate posts due to the length of some of the poems.

1 comment:

tootlepip said...

You are just full of wonderful ideas. We go in fits and spurts with poetry. I like your idea of them reading on their own and then sharing. I might have to give this a try!